Friday, July 27, 2007

Ohio Transportation Working Group Project Scope

Draft Scope:

Ohio is positioning itself to be a logistics hub in the United States. The scope of this group will focus on any means and technology that can effectively move goods and people, including air transport, marine transport, and surface transport, within the state and abroad. The scope of this group also includes the use of infrastructure to efficiently move goods and people.

Please provide remarks, changes or suggestions by posting a comment.

2 comments:

Richard T. Stuebi said...

I worry about the addition of air and marine as broadening the scope needlessly. I suspect that 90+% of the people/cargo volume, the vast majority of the effects on social indicators, and what we have the most policy control over, relates to surface (or sub-surface) transportation within the state. If we excluded marine and air, would we come up with a radically different answer? I don't think so. And, it would keep things a lot simpler.

I would add sub-surface transport options (e.g., subways). And, for the last phrase, I would exclude the term "abroad" -- it's within the state, including and up to border departures/entries.

Anonymous said...

I recommend deleting the opening sentence, as it does not contribute to the definition of scope, in my opinion.

Also, I am concerned that we have somehow lost track of our last meeting's agreement on "downstream" consumption vs. "upstream" production of transportation services. It would be useful, I suggest, to restrict our scope to the former category.